Monday, January 18, 2010

Shine So Bright




















"I´m glad to see you coming, I´m glad to see you go...
She once told me I´m glad to see you coming, I'm glad to see you go..."

Treat Me Like A Saturday Night was penned by Jimmie Dale Gilmore, but his old Flatlanders pal Joe Ely recorded it first, for his excellent ´77 debut. For some reason, Gilmore waited until ´91 to tape a version for his equally fine After Awhile album. Both versions do it for me, although I have a slight preference for Ely´s performance, as it has an underlying tension to it, like a smouldering fire.

"You gotta give up something when you try anything new,
You gotta give up something when you try out anything new,
But whatever I give up, love, it won't be you..."

Joe Ely - Treat Me Like A Saturday Night MP3
Jimmie Dale Gilmore - Treat Me Like A Saturday Night MP3

No comments: