Monday, May 13, 2019

Wondrous Fair





















Miss Waters goes all out on a centuries-old traditional folk song. Haunting as hell throughout and getting weirder by the minute, this is a masterly performance in a free jazz style. Phew. Even the incomparable John Jacob Niles, who set it to music back in 1941, or the mighty Nina Simone didn't manage to scale such dizzying heights.

Patty Waters - Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair
Nina Simone - Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair
John Jacob Niles - Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair

3 comments:

FurryBootsCityBoy said...

My favourite version of this song was by a big fat bearded boozy folk singer called Hamish Imlach...

He did a few versions - this is one of them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yOC6I9tgGs

FurryBootsCityBoy said...

Ach, tae Hell wi' it - this is the first version of the song I heard, when I was 15 years old, also by Hamish from his 1966 debut album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdwoDWBnDtE

Ramone666 said...

Great version, new to me. Thanks a mil!