Monday, June 8, 2020

Down On My Luck





















Found myself enjoying some prime Warren Zevon late last night. When Zevon (1947-2003) was on, he was a true great. The opening lines of Lawyers Guns And Money never fail to crack me up: “I went home with the waitress, the way I always do, how was I to know she was with the Russians too..." Sharp writing that. Here goes with a couple of choice cuts for your listening pleasure.

Warren Zevon - Poor Poor Pitiful Me
Warren Zevon - Lawyers Guns And Money
Warren Zevon - A Certain Girl
Warren Zevon - Carmelita

3 comments:

FurryBootsCityBoy said...

Four fab songs.
One of the highlights of my life was dining out with some London
based chums after watching Scotland lose (again!)
to Engerlund at Wembley, they took me to a certain restaurant
and, suitably refreshed I was able to walk around Soho
annoying everyone by singing:
"I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walking through the streets of Soho in the rain
He was looking for the place called Lee Ho Fooks
Gonna get a big dish of beef chow mien..."

And I always remember that the sake I ordered came in
a bottle which was jammed in an old brown teapot filled
with hot water to keep the sake warm.

Ps - I had seen Scotland win at Wembley but didn't take
part in the huge pitch invasion afterwards. I am not a
hooligan.

Ramone666 said...

Winning away at Wembley is always cool, but for Scotsmen even more so I guess. Hope you'll manage again soon.

sag1015 said...

Without a doubt, one of the greatest, and most underrated, singer songwriters to ever walk the face of the earth.