Monday, January 9, 2012

Straight Life




















"I wanna be straight, I wanna be straight, I'm sick and tired of taking drugs and staying up late..." Following up on a conversation with faithful reader Holly in the post below this one, here's a fun showdown between messrs. Richman and Dury. And as a chaser: a hot quartet of not so straight jazz cuts.

The Modern Lovers - I'm Straight
Ian Dury & The Blockheads - I Wanna Be Straight
Art Pepper - Straight Life
Thelonious Monk - Straight No Chaser
Hank Mobley - Straight No Filter
Cannonball Adderley Quintet - Straight Life

2 comments:

Holly said...

:-)

Present for you over at my site :-)

JohnnyDiego said...

The Modern Lovers were so ultra-modern in the 70s and even more so today, I think. I never tire of Jonathan Richman. Thank you for posting one of my favorites.
And, oh yeah, I am Hippie Johnny.