Monday, December 24, 2007

The perfect country song


Over at the great music blog Setting The Woods On Fire, Paul recently mused about the perfect country song. According to him, four key elements had to be in place: clever wordplay, a storyline based on regret, a stalwart but flawed protagonist and a pedal steel guitar. With added bonus points for mentioning alcohol and reverence for the land (especially the south). His ultimate winner was He Stopped Loving Her Today by George Jones, and I sure could live with that.

But it got me to thinking. What was my perfect pick? Tough one. A lot of the usual suspects (ole Hank, Cash, Merle Haggard, Waylon) passed the test with ease, but guess what? I also came up with a George Jones song. It´s official: If Drinkin´ Don´t Kill Me (Her Memory Will) is my personal exemplary country song. All necessary ingredients are firmly in place, and on top of that it´s got a line that still cracks me up no matter how many times I hear it: ´with the blood from my body, I could start my own still´. Cheers Mr. Possum! Long may you drive your lawnmower over to the liquor store.

George Jones - If Drinkin´ Don´t Kill Me (Her Memory Will) MP3

1 comment:

Paul said...

Thanks for the plug. I noticed that George Jones comes up a lot in this game. Great choice.