Sunday, December 16, 2007

Hellfire!





















I recently learned that Hellfire, Nick Tosches´ amazing biography of Jerry Lee Lewis, has been reissued. And as my first edition copy is more or less worn out (yes, it´s that good), I guess I´ll have to buy it again. And if you haven´t read it, I strongly suggest you pick one up too. Nick Tosches has long been one of my favorite writers (his Cut Numbers, Trinities and Night Train are also warmly recommended). He´s got a style that´s distinctly his own, and has a whole lot of attitude to boot. Hellfire is the man´s main claim to fame though. It´s a biography that reads like a rollercoaster of a novel. It also helps that his subjects life is - to put it mildly - rather unusual. Fire and brimstone anyone?

I guess everybody is familiar with the early rock ´n´roll classics Jerry Lee recorded for Sun, but his forays into country territory are not that well known. The Killer is a natural country singer though. Check out the CD Another Time Another Place / She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye (Raven Records) to see what I mean.

Jerry Lee Lewis - She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye MP3
Jerry Lee Lewis - What Made Milwaukee Famous (Has Made A Loser Out Of Me) MP3

No comments: