Friday, January 12, 2018

Heavy Nuggets





















Caution: wild trip ahead, with a triple dose of goodies from the first three volumes of the Brown Acid series. Yet another younger brother of Lenny Kaye's famed Nuggets compilation, although the bands are much more obscure here and the songs way heavier. Recorded after Altamont ended the hippie dream once and for all, these slabs of proto stoner rock provide the ideal soundtrack to the post-Aquarian comedown. Find your copies on the mindblowing Riding Easy label: editions four and five have dropped as well in the meantime.

Raw Meat - Stand By Girl
Crossfield - Take It!
First State Bank - Before You Leave

4 comments:

The Swede said...

Ye Gods - consider my mind blown! I've been over to eMusic and purchased all five editions of 'Brown Acid' based on these three tracks and am now playing through them at a floor-shaking volume. I fully expect the neighbours to start banging on the walls in complaint at any moment - when that happens I'll be blaming you!

Ramone666 said...

I had a feeling this might happen...

George said...

Unlike The Swede I will not be purchasing the albums. but that Crossfield track will be getting played a few more times

Spence said...

Well you're not wrong about them being heavier than Nuggets. They took me back to that time (late 60s early 70s) and I'm with The Swede on this - I loved all three. Presumably you've posted the 'best' selections. I'll certainly give the Riding Easy label a proper check out in the cold light of day. As I say I liked them all but was particularly partial to the play out last 90 secs of Before You Leave. This was a great post - many thanks.