Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Soweto Clash




















Let's chill out some to a surprising African reggae track by Nigerian afrofunk, highlife and reggae musician Sonny Okosun. Don't let the rather strange synth sounds at the start put you off, things will get irie soon... I'm busy reading Marcus Gray's Route 19 Revisited at the moment, an extensive and inspiring book on the Clash and the making of their magnum opus London Calling. Happens that Okosun's hit was a personal fave of messrs Strummer, Jones, Simonon and Headon at the time. So much so they even demoed a song that was clearly inspired by Fire In Soweto during their '79 Vanilla Sessions. Check!

Sonny Okosun - Fire In Soweto MP3
The Clash - Where You Gonna Go (Soweto) MP3

2 comments:

Adesua said...

This is amazing, i just found out that the clash did this cover of my dad's music. I love the clash and my dad was also a big fan. I know if he was alive, he would have been honored. Thanks for this little info.

Adesua Okosun

Ramone666 said...

Glad I could be of service, Adesua. Your dad was a fine, inspirational musician.